Kalmar and Öland

Kalmar Castle

Beach in Köpingsvik
















I set out to Kalmar on an early morning train ride by myself. It was the first weekend trip I've taken by myself, but it was more than nice to get out on my own. I went to Kalmar because it's the city on the mainland across from Öland, and my Aunt Linnea suggested I visit the small city, and a great suggestion it was.

The first place I went to in Kalmar was Kalmar Castle, which, despite being somewhat small compared to other castles, was one of the prettiest I've ever seen. 



The castle used to be a fortress, used mainly against the Danish who were constantly fond of attacking Sweden. When it was made into a castle, Eric XIV, who I mentioned in my previous post about Stockholm, a son of Gustav I, spent his time in this castle and on Öland as well.


The photograph above is of the church inside Kalmar Castle. It is on of the most popular wedding churches in Sweden. By the looks of it's beauty, there is no doubt why.

Inside Kalmar Castle

From the castle

The rest of the day was spent exploring Kalmar and what it had to offer. Kalmar is a small port town on the sea with the island Öland across from it's shores. I walked along ports and visited the cathedral. There were many shops that specialized in Swedish glass in Kalmar.


Kalmar Cathedral
The next day I went to Öland, where some of my Swedish ancestors are from, specifically Köpingsvik. The first town I went to, however, was Borgholm, next to Köpingsvik. The main attraction of Borgholm is it's castle, which is a lot like Kalmar castle but more in ruins. It was also a fortress turned castle.


My favorite part of the castle, besides the fact that it was completely deserted and I had it all to myself, was the incredible views it offered. The Kalmar Strait, that divides Öland from the mainlaind, could be seen if you climbed a few stairs.



Kalmar Strait from Öland

Town of Borgholm from Borgholm Castle


When I was done exploring the castle, I walked for more than an hour to get to Köpingsvik, the town where my Swedish ancestors are from. Thanks to my fantastic Aunt Linnea, I had some information about my relatives there before I came. Unfortunately, after trying to get in contact with them for a few months before I came to Köpingsvik, I came up short and couldn't contact them. It was still nice to explore the area.










 Köpingsvik reminds me of a small, tourist beach town. As I walked down the main street parallel to the water, I must have walked past four or five different campgrounds. Local businesses lined the other side of the street.

Walking along the beach in Köpingsvik was my favorite part because I kept picturing my relatives, even my aunts and grandparents and mother who visited, walking on the beach or just around town.

I spent the next few hours sunbathing on the beach. It was the first weekend in Sweden where the sun had really shone. In fact, when I got back to Gothenburg, everything was transformed. Grass turned greener and buds formed on trees in a few short days.





I left Öland and Kalmar the next morning. I was so fortunate to see one of my ancestral hometowns. My only regret is that I wish I had more time to explore Köpingsvik.