Welcome to Sweden!

I am in Gothenburg now on my second night and so far, the city is absolutely amazing. But I'm going to back track a little.

Packing for a two and a half month study abroad trip was a nightmare. After a five hour shopping trip (and I am someone who hates shopping, and hates as in would rather clean my looks-like-a-hurricane-went-through-it bedroom than go shopping) and a few break downs, I was ready to just be done with it. I can't imagine what I would have done if I had to pack for six months.

While packing (with the amazing help of my mother), we commandeered my sister's bedroom to become the official packing room. Basically, I laid out everything I was bringing with me and checked (and double and triple checked) that I would have everything I need.



Then came to Great Blender Debate. My mother and I were in a war on whether I should bring a 2.2 lb portable blender ( $15 from Walmart) with me. Eventually she gave in and I'll be sipping green smoothies up the wazoo.


I was fortunate enough to have all of my flights on time. I flew from Boston to London and London to Gothenburg. My roommate wasn't so lucky. Because of delays and flight cancellations she didn't arrive at the hotel until 12:30 last night.


Flying over Denmark

The hotel we're staying at is adorable and very much like an apartment. It's simple but perfect and has everything we need. It includes a small kitchen with a stove, sink, fridge, microwave and coffee maker (though I'm not a coffee fanatic) and now a tiny blender! We also have a little TV with six English channels. Most of them are British news stations and the rest show TV shows from the '80s. I'm not complaining though. I'm not going to be spending much time watching TV. 



Because my Swedish heritage, as soon as I arrived in Gothenburg, I felt like yelling "MY PEOPLE!" and running to hug them. But I resisted. I'm excited to actually talk to Swedish people. So far, I haven't spoken to many, having been here less than two days.

A gloomy morning arrival in Gothenburg

I'd been told before we left that the majority of the people speak English. I've found this to be true, but it's still awkward asking them things in English. I feel bad, almost guilty for not speaking Swedish. But I'd have to memorize a few more phrases to be able to ask them things. And I would have to improve on my pronunciations. Let's just say I sound like a dying goat when I try to pronounce Swedish. The ancestors would not be proud. 

Today, we had an orientation at the IHM business school. It's one of the two major universities in Gothenburg, along with the University of Gothenburg. The school is very modern, surpassing the tiny desks and broken AC systems at Johnson and Wales. 



Our group coming from Johnson and Wales is about 25 girls, and we all are taking the four classes for our ten weeks here, the same amount we would at JWU. They include Advanced Composition, Leadership, History of the European Union and Honors Economics. None of them have much to do with my Hospitality and Tourism major, but they count as Gen Ed credits I would need to take anyways. Classes start on Monday.

After our orientation, I stupidly took a 2 hour long nap, further delaying my time zone adjustment. My roommate Mikaela and I explored the nightlife a little, trying to find a good place to eat but ended up settling for a Swedish fast food place. Most restaurants had closed by that time and only kept their bars open, so we settled for hamburgers and kebabs. A great first meal in Sweden. I'll be more adventurous tomorrow, I promise.

Delicious, unhealthy kebab

Tomorrow our group is touring around Gothenburg more. I've yet to see the main part of the city in the daylight so more posts and pictures to come! :)

Jenny